Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Friday, July 30, 2010

Week 6 Day 3: Legacy of the Heart


Today's lesson brought back soooo many memories of my "Grams". Along with my title, Legacy of the Heart, I felt her photo needed to be posted. That's my grandmother! She wouldn't tell a lie, even a white lie. She raised her children and grandchildren and all of our friends. Instead of eating school lunch, I ate lunch with Grams and later started bringing my friends (who also called her "Grams"). We read books together, our favorites were by Corrie Ten Boom. We cooked together, and watched tv together, she took us to the Dr and took care of us while Mom worked. Agnes Dillon left a beautiful legacy of love.

Today's lesson creates a beautiful background of love and illuminates the importance of our heart. As we know, Samuel was told by God to visit Jesse of Bethlehem (what a coincidence, huh :) Boaz and Elimech were from Bethlehem) because he was to anoint the new king. Samuel knew the king was to be from Jesse's family (Boaz and Ruth's family...isn't that kewl!) God said He would tell Samuel which one it would be after he got there. When Samuel saw Eliab, tall in stature and handsome in appearance, he just knew that's who God had chosen. What a surprise when God told him, "no." God "sees as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearence but the Lord looks at the heart" 1 Samuel 16:7

You know, the opposite can happen. I mean, it could go the other direction give off an appearance of someone who is careless, lazy or gruff, even mean. Have you ever unjustly judged someone? Has someone unjustly judged you? If we are being honest with ourselves, I believe we can answer "Yes" to both of those questions.

The important question might be; What does God see in Me? Am I an unrighetous judge, do I give off aires of someone that is unjust, unloving, cruel, a gossip,etc. Some thoughts to ponder.....

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I too thought of Gramma through this day of study. When I think of the Christian heritage I received growing up in a christian family I feel so blessed. I thought when it came to the Bible that Gramma knew it all, if not the pastor was the only one who knew more.

Sure makes you look at your life, am I leaving a legacy for my children and grandchildren.

Lutiemom said...

It was really neat to see that Rahab was Boaz's mother, too! It is neat to find that her legacy (not just the part of being a harlot) but that of being a foreigner or undesirable may have been a part of why Boaz was so understanding of Ruth's undesirable Moabite heritage.

It's good to know that regardless of how I can goof things up, God can turn it into His good. Thus the legacy I leave (tarnished as it may be) will be used for His plan, His Glory. Waaahoooo