Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Week 3 Day 2; Humility


Until today, the first picture of humility in my mind was of Mary washing the feet of Jesus. As I said, until today....


Ruth 2:13 "May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord," she said. "You have given me comfort and have spoken kindly to your servant—though I do not have the standing of one of your servant girls."

Not even trying to sell her good qualities to Boaz, Ruth was continuously humble. When meeting a Knight in Shining Armour, many girls begin to giggle, twirl their hair, and say something cute or profound. Not, Ruth.


1 Peter 5:5-6 (Amplified)
5...Clothe (apron) yourselves, all of you, with humility [as the garb of a servant, [a]so that its covering cannot possibly be stripped from you, with freedom from pride and arrogance] toward one another. For God sets Himself against the proud (the insolent, the overbearing, the disdainful, the presumptuous, the boastful)--[and He opposes, frustrates, and defeats them], but gives grace (favor, blessing) to the humble.

6Therefore humble yourselves [demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation] under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you,


I don't know about you, but I really enjoyed the story Kelly shared about her dad giving golf lessons and shinning shoes before pastoring a church for 34 years. He was in training...learning first to serve. Do you think there is a "season" of humbling oneself before God and serving man?

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I definately believe there is a season of humbling. I think I went through quite a bit of humbling. With the loss of John's teaching income, the loss of his status as a teacher, the loss of my career in the corporate world. We have had to adjust to a much smaller income, and a more humble lifestyle. We have had to accept help from family, neighbors, the church. Thankfully, I believe we are now in a season of blessings. Not that the income is so much better, but we feel so much better.