Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Week 5 Day 1 Obedience Could Be Extrodinary and Costly


Obedience; it takes knowing the One Who Sent You and really trusting Him. Yet, the choice is always there to take whichever path you choose.


Ruth 4:1-6 Amplified Version
THEN BOAZ went up to the city's gate and sat down there, and behold, the kinsman of whom Boaz had spoken came by. He said to him, Ho! Turn aside and sit down here. So he turned aside and sat down. And Boaz took ten men of the elders of the city and said, Sit down here. And they sat down.

And he said to the kinsman, Naomi, who has returned from the country of Moab, has sold the parcel of land which belonged to our brother Elimelech. And I thought to let you hear of it, saying, Buy it in the presence of those sitting here and before the elders of my people. If you will redeem it, redeem it; but if you will not redeem it, then say so, that I may know; for there is no one besides you to redeem it, and I am [next of kin] after you. And he said, I will redeem it.

Then Boaz said, The day you buy the field of Naomi, you must buy also Ruth the Moabitess, the widow of the dead man, to restore the name of the dead to his inheritance.

And the kinsman said, I cannot redeem it for myself, lest [by marrying a Moabitess] I endanger my own inheritance. Take my right of redemption yourself, for I cannot redeem it.


As Boaz waits and hopes to marry Ruth, he must first acquire the right to do so. He is second in line. The man who has the right is interested in the land but does not want to risk his inheritance by taking in the Moabitess. I suppose there is always a risk to obedience...yet, I don't think this man even considered asking God for His opinion.

Each morning, I wake up early and create a mental list on what I hope to accomplish that day. Yet, today's study caused me to realize that I am not much different than the "other man" . I don't ask God (my greatest resource) on what I should accomplish that day. He knows what is best for me and my family, He knows what I can successfully accomplish...yet I am still choosing my own path for the daily grind.

When it comes to big decisions, health, etc. it's easy to go to The Master. There are times He calls us to the unusual and it really takes a leap of faith. That's where we meet the crossroads, again. Will you take that leap of faith and risk losing something?

What did today's lesson say to you?

No comments: