Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Week 5 Day 3; HE Knows My Name!


As a teacher at a new school, one of my biggest concerns is getting to know everyone. Generally, when building relationships, one gathers information about a person, their likes, dislikes, values, dreams, and past history. This information helps us to remember them by name. A name is really important to all of us. When someone meets me for a brief time and remembers my name, I am amazed!

During times of the Old Testament, a name (especially a good name) helped to trace family history and preserve a family name (reputation). In Ruth's case, her kinsman-redeemer would be responsible to help carry on the name of her deceased husband by granting their first son the name of her dead husband. This son would inherit the land and all that belonged Ruth's deceased husband. Preserving Elimelech, Chilion, and Mahlon's heritage was a big responsibility for someone to take.

One of the points to ponder from our lesson today illuminated that fact "we all have a name, history, and a wake of good and bad." Boaz knew Ruth's history...the biggest undesirable mark on her was the heritage as a Moabitess. Yet, he vowed to redeem her. Isn't it amazing, when looking at this story in light of what Jesus did for us? He knows me better than I actually know myself (I have no idea how many hairs are on my head!) He knows things about me that I wouldn't want anyone to know...yet He still died for me. He call me by name!!!!!! Out of all the people on this earth, He knows me by name! That's HUGE!!!!! He chose me, as an individual, and by my name! Isn't that just awesome!!!

2 comments:

Connie Smiley said...

Yes, it is amazing! And I sometimes ponder the new name that God will someday bestow on us (Isaiah 62:1; Revelation 2:17; Revelation 3:12). I remember when I was young, and someone called me by a special nickname; it gave me the sense that I was important to them. How much more amazing to be valued in that way by the Almighty God!

Lutiemom said...

Oh, Connie, very good point! How wonderful it will be to have the name our God GIVES to US! I am constantly and consistenly amazed at how He deals with us as a body of believers and at the same time he personalizes the relationship and preserves special things for us as individuals. That is just one of things our amazing God can do!