Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Week 5 Day 4;Blessings and Sacrifice





Ruth 4:11-12 Then the elders and all those at the gate said, "We are witnesses. May the LORD make the woman who is coming into your home like Rachel and Leah, who together built up the house of Israel. May you have standing in Ephrathah and be famous in Bethlehem. Through the offspring the LORD gives you by this young woman, may your family be like that of Perez, whom Tamar bore to Judah."

This lesson brought back beautiful memories of a chaplain's wife I met on an Army Post in Hanau, Germany. Her name is Cindy; yet, it's been so long ago that I can no longer remember her last name. Yet, Cindy, amongst homeschooling her beautiful children, supporting her husband, and participating in chapel events...blessed me greatly as a neighbor. During one of our conversations, Cindy told me her ideas of blessing others. She told me we needed to speak blessings on others rather than curse them with gossip. She looked me in the eye (which spoke straight to my soul) and said, "You know we can speak blessings on others, it's isn't just something we do alone during prayer." I remember nodding my head and saying ,"yes" while inwardly thinking..."yea, right". Since then, I didn't give it much thought.

Yet, this lesson brings back that conversation to my mind like it was yesterday; rather than 20 years ago. While looking for a picture to post with this blog, I ran across pictures of Issac blessing Jacob and pictures of Jacob blessing the sons of Joseph. What an added picture to the blessings spoken to Boaz upon the announcement of his upcoming marriage and new responsibilities. After all, it wasn't an easy step for Boaz, it required self-sacrifice on his part. Often times, if we have to give up something we won't take on a new challenge.

Yet, back to our thoughts on Boaz and Ruth...the elders spoke blessings on them. How many times have I spoke blessings on others? I pray for them...I have given food, clothing, etc. yet I feel like the Holy Spirit is asking for more...blessings.

What did today's lesson speak to you?

No comments: