Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Week 1 Day 4 Serving a god I created

Isaiah 44:20 "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?" Have I created my own god? What am I doing!? This sounds crazy but it happens. People who were skilled professionals didn't do this inadvertently; the Israelites had people among them who did it on purpose. They took pieces of wood or iron and crafted a god to worship. As crazy as it sounds, have we actually taken part of the same mindset?

A good example is social networking. How much time do you spend checking your favorite social network? Does it take time away from your priorities? Has it become your priority? Do you think about it more than you think of the things of God? How much of your time is devoted to "it"?


Of course, nothing is wrong with social networking...I'm not saying that. "It",or whatever else you may be thing of, inadvertently becomes your god when you end up allowing it a place in your life that actually belongs to God. Your time, your money, your shelter...do you rely on these things to bring you what God wants to bring? He is my comforter, not food. God is my provider, not me. God is my strength, not someone else. The list goes on and on.


What is my motive in where I spend my time and resources? Am I spending time/resources for God's glory or my own glory? Do I depend on "it" to bring me happiness and/or comfort? Something to ponder, today. What do you find in your life that you have replaced God with?



What's in your hand?


1 comment:

Joyce said...

I find it funny that you used social networking. I wrote that Computers, Facebook, etc are all man made by skilled people that create the programs, games, etc.

I also look at sewing, I could begin a project to help someone or a particluar ministry, and if not careful I can get so caught up in it I forget where God is in the whole project.