Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 4 Obiedience For The Long Haul!



(photo by Lois Honeycutt)


Have you ever tried to make water flow up stream? Maybe you've tried to divert the direction of water. It can be diverted, yet it isn't usually an easy task. Did you know the word "water" is found 620 times in the Bible (I just looked it up!) Water is significant...it's soft yet can break through rock over the course of time. When we get caught up in its course, it can be difficult and sometimes impossible to to get out. Yet, Psalm 18:16 says, He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.

Today, we looked at the number of times Naomi encouraged Ruth to turn back. Yet she maintained the course. We also looked at Joseph's persistence to remain true to his master and refuse the affections of his master's wife. Joseph, too, maintained the course towards his goal.

Maybe you are encountering a trial today. Be persistent!
"Consider it a great joy, my brothers, whenever you experience various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. But endurance must do its complete work, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking nothing!" James 1:2-4

What did today's lesson say to you. I hope you'll share with us!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The phase in today's lesson that jumped out at me was, "We won't be able to last if our motivation is based on anything but our relationship with God."
I really needed to hear that. This might sound trivial, but I have been trying to lose weight (unsuccessfully) for over a year. My motivation must be based in the Lord if I am to succeed. I am going to keep that in the front of my mind everyday.

Also I wanted to add a comment about the passage in James on trials. I studied the similar passage in Romans 5:3-5, right after my little 2 year old niece died in a car accident.
When I read; to consider it great joy when I experience trials I thought, "you have got to be kidding! I don't like trials and the last thing I want to do is count it a joy!"
Then God showed me the word Testing is a crushing/clamity.
However it produces Perseverance or endurance which means to "bear up under with tranquility"
Perserverance brings proven charactor (integrity that has been tried and is trustworthy).
Which finally leads to hope. A confident expectation that does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts
Nothing that happens in our lives is a surprise to God. Every trial in our lives has been filtered through God's fingers of love. (to borrow a phrase from Kay Arthur.) So we can grow to consider it a great joy when we experience various trials.

Love you guys,
Patty

Lutiemom said...

Wow! Patty, thanks for the mini-lesson on James 1:2-3. I believe I've been part of a study on that scripture...but it was soooo good to participate in a review. Thanks :) I'm sure the others will enjoy it, too!

Funny the trial you listed was weight loss. (I guess it really isn't funny...maybe it's not a good choice of words...)That is the same trial I wrote about in our work book. Like you mentioned, my motivation MUST be based on God. Without Him, my success would be limited to my own will-power which can not be compared to the power of our Father.

Thanks Patty!

Unknown said...

Something that came to mind while reading the post and reviewing my book is my commitment to my husband John. For those of you who may not know, John suffered a severe stroke almost 6 years ago as a complication to surgery. So many times people have come up to me and commented on my commitment to him. To me it is not an option, but to this world we live in, many people see options. I stayed at his side for nearly 2 months while he recovered and rehab'd. I nurse him and care for him at home. My marriage covenant meant something to me, for better or worse, in sickness and in health. Yet our world chooses the easy way so many times.

Too many times I have faced trials, yet I am so glad those trials strengthened me to be the woman I am today.