Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Friday, June 25, 2010

Day 3: Weeping Forward and Hesed




As the women set off on a journey...a journey that was to take them away from what they know and have always known, Naomi suddenly stops. We can only speculate what the reason's for the occasion might have been. Nevertheless, Naomi released the women to return to their mother's home.

When the girls began to weep, Naomi gives them more cause to flee and go back to what they knew. Naomi explains she has no sons for them to marry, due to her age and widowed state she will not bear them sons to marry either. Yet, at the same time, Naomi showed great love toward the girls. "Hesed"...wasn't that a beautiful word. Let's concentrate on that today. What did you learn about "hesed" and how do you see that played out in your world and in your season of life?

I will not be posting tomorrow but more than likely post Sunday morning or evening. Excited...I am going on a trip with three other wonderful women to a Beth Moore conference in St. Louis. Have a wonderful weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,
You asked us about "hesed" The first definition given in the book sounds just like "agape" love. Then we find out that is is associated with God's covenant relationship with Isreal and ultimately with us.
The promise to never leave us or forsake us. That God has loved us with an everlasting love. A love that never fails.
I realized that even though Naomi lived in the land of Moab, she still followed the ways of her Yahweh GOD.

Ruth and Orpah realized that was something different about Naomi and was willing to leave their people and follow her back to her home and her God.

As for my season of life:
Our pastor says, "Only 2 things in this world will last forever, the Word of God and the souls of men". I would like to be a part of that in people's lives.

One of our younger cousins write: A woman's heart should be so grounded in Christ that a man has to know Him to find her.
That is the kind of woman I would like to be.

Unknown said...

I thought of how we can show kindness "Hesed" -- covenant loyalty in our lives today. First we must see the needs around us. Whether it be family, friends, a young mom from church, a neighbor who cannot mow their lawn, etc. Does someone just need us to serve them through a kind word, a willing ear to listen, or do they need a friend to comfort them through a difficult time. We show this kindness, this selfless loyalty without expecting anything in return.
At the garage sale this weekend, I was showing a gentleman an old lawn mower he could have for parts, while looking at the lawn mower he noticed an old stove. He inquired of the stove. I told him if he could haul it, then it was his. He was so grateful, as his children were without a stove and needed one greatly. I was sharing this story later with my daughter who could not understand why I didn't ask for any money. She said Mom, you need the money, you should have charged him. I said, I felt God leading me to give it away. She is still having a difficult time understanding this. As I felt so lifted up the rest of that HOT Saturday because I was able to help someone, when really I don't have much to give.

Lutiemom said...

What a blessing it is when we can give to someone else in need. It's an awesome privalege and honor to know that God put someone in your life for you to help. He has entrusted you to help someone in need. YEAH! I'm sure the family using the stove will be blessed, too. I am so glad you shared that story; it did my heart good to read it.