Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Who Have You Helped Today?



The essence of family...we stick together!  No matter the sacrifice, we are family and we do what we need to do for each other.  Once, my Aunt Gladys reminded me that God created the family BEFORE He created the church.  Wow!  Wasn't that an eye opener!  Let's dig even deeper, with closer examination we find the church is really a picture of God's FAMILY!  So really, the sacrifice doesn't stop at my front porch (although I really believe it must start there...).  Interesting thoughts to ponder upon, don't you think? 

In Nehemiah, chapter 5, I was astounded to find the Israelites (God's chosen people, His family, the early church) oppressing others in the family.  It came with an astounding, "Really...What are you thinking!"

5:9-11 What you're doing is wrong.  Is there no fear of God left in you?  Don't you care what the nations around here, our enemies, think of you?  I am my brothers and the people working for me have also loaned them money.  But this gouging them with interest has to stop.  Give them back their foreclosed fields, vineyards, olive groves, and homes right now, and forgive your claims on their money, grain, new wine, and olive oil."

Nehemiah didn't even collect taxes from those in need (although it was legal and he could).  He found the people had it hard enough as it was.  Nehemiah 5:17 -19

Here was a nation, living in appalling conditions.  Those who had money collected even more...from those who didn't have it to give.  Doesn't that sound crazy!?  What's necessarily legal doesn't mean it's ethical!!!!!  nor does it mean it is right in the eyes of our Father! 

This has really burdened my heart today.  Are there people living amongst my community that I haven't helped when the opportunity came along?  Worse yet, did I place undo burden on those who needed a helping hand?  What am I doing for my extended family?  My brothers and sisters in Christ Jesus...I don't have much...yet, I don't want to be found guilty of hording what God has given me to share. 

Jesus gave it all....




No comments: