Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Friday, July 27, 2012

It's About People Not Programs

A common sight in my community and the surrounding area...the old church/one room school house.  One can't help but wonder what happened to the people that once went to church there.  Did the church grow and rebuild elsewhere?  Did it die with the people who started it?  A church that never grew?  Why does it stand alone?

Sometimes I wonder if we forget what it's really all about...Christ told us to "feed my sheep".  Did we forget?  The command wasn't about anything but the welfare of His sheep. 

As a cattle farmer's wife, I understand the care needed to keep the herd healthy.  It's really all about the cows.  Each day we make sure their needs are met; food, water, shelter.  We don't argue about the color of the barn, it's more about which type of feed is best for the money we have. 

Comparing cattle to people is not my point.  Yet, sometimes we forget the people and it becomes about the program and whose idea is going to be carried out, the set up, the right songs, etc.  Really, it needs to be all about meeting the needs of God's people.  If the church fails to meet the need of God's people, the building will be left in ruins. 

In the book of Nehemiah, ch 7... the wall has been rebuilt.  The first mission is complete.  Yet, it wasn't just about the wall...it was about restoration of God's people.  Now it's time to move back into the shelter of God's wall of protection.  The whole time, it was really about God's people...

Is 43:2-4  Don't be afraid, I've redeemed you.  I've called your name.  You're mine.  When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.  When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.  When you're in between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end - Because I am God, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior.  I paid a huge price for you; all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in!  That's how much yo mean to me?  That's how much I love you.  I'd sell off the whole world to get you back, trade the creation just for you.


No comments: