Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen

Monday, July 16, 2012

Act or React: I Choose to Act!




Today marks a day in history I will never forget.  My grandmother, a woman whose imprint in my life will always be noticed, passed into Heaven's Gates.  She was surrounded by her children and grandchildren as she looked up and gazed toward the ceiling in amazement and took her last breath.  She left a wonderful legacy behind; a model for her family to follow. 


My grandmother, Agnes Dillon, raised her children and grandchildren with Biblical precepts.  She wouldn't/couldn't lie...not even a little bit.  For example, once the phone rang and I asked her to answer it.  If it was for me, I wanted her to tell them I was in the shower.  Her reply was simple, "You better get in there before I answer it then!"   

I can't help but think of her when I read today's study in Nehemiah chapter 4.  As the Israelites were rebuilding the Wall of Jerusalem, dignitaries mocked them, trying to stir trouble or cause a fight.  Rather than REACT, Nehemiah stood by what he knew to do.  His first act was to pray; asking for God's hand on the situation. He also posted a guard to watch for trouble or meet the threat.  I notice Nehemiah wasn't plotting his revenge, he continued in the work that was at hand.  The Israelites weren't side-tracked with the appearance of impending attacks! 

How many times have I REACTED to cruelty or rude remarks?  This is my big ahhhh-haaa, that's a good way to get side-tracked or even thrown off track!  Prayer would keep my focus where it needs to be.  Guarding my heart and mind is the work I need to be about, letting  God guard me while I act in obedience. 

No comments: